2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

A Little Story

So, on Tuesdays I usually talk about a book that came out today. But I seriously don't feel like doing that. So I'm going to tell you a story about how I got into reading. =D

I was in 6th grade, so I was about 11 going on 12. It was night and I was at this party for this sports club where I used to run track. I clearly remember it was right after midnight and my friend and his sister who were at the party and left came back. In their hands was this book, this huge blue book with this kid on it. And I'm like, are they seriously reading a book? But I didn't say anything. For about two minutes I watched them read this book. It was about 12:03 in the morning when I asked my friend if I could see what he was reading. He handed me the book and I read the first line, put it down, and forced my Godfather to take me to Pathmark to go buy it. By 12:10 I was back inside the club reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I got to about 100 pages into the book when I realized there were others before it. I went to sleep and the next day my parents had to go to Pathmark again and I tagged along. I found the first four books in paperback and asked and begged for my dad to buy them. I got them and began reading before I even paid for them. Mind you I had never read a book before this, let alone think about reading a book. In about five days I was done with all five books. I closed the fifth one and thought to myself, I want this again. So I began reading them over and over and over.

Now, my first four paperbacks are really broken down from reading them nonstop and my fifth hardcover one is on the verge of disappearing. But will I buy a new one? Nope, this is mine. The feeling I got when I first read them, is something I can't even describe now. I can't even feel it again but I know it was the most amazing feeling I ever felt. It was happiness. Everywhere I went, the books went with me. They were my life and they still are. About a year or so later I began searching for other books and now I'm a book maniac who reads books nonstop everyday. There's not one day I go without reading, even if it's a chapter, I still have to read.

The last time I read Harry Potter was 2008. I literally finished it on New Years Eve before Midnight. You might be wondering why I haven't read it for such a long time. I read the series so many times that I'm just going to wait until Deathly Hallows Part 2 is out on DVD before I start reading again. I just want it to be fresh and new to me all over again. I want to be as happy as I can be.

But that's my story of how I got into reading. What's yours?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...