2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

The Novel's Court (3)

Hey Chroniclers! How it's going on this fine Tuesday? Tuesday is the day that books are released into the world but before you get your hands on them they must go through a process. The Novel's Court is a weekly meme hosted by me, where I put a book through three categories and let you know whether they're Guilty (worth reading) or Not Guilty (leave it alone). It is done with debut novels or the first novel of a series that has been released. This week is...


Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys! 
Loving the name, sounds fancy. 

It's 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. She devises a plan to get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. 

Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.

Time for Court!

The Story: I don't know if it's because lately I've been loving contemporary novels and enjoying them immensely but this sounds really good actually. I especially like the fact that there's no romance mentioned in the synopsis even though there's a chance it might involve romance. But catch me by surprise. Really like how it sounds different than most YA contemporary's and that it's taking chances.

The Cover: I'm actually very much in love with the cover. I like the greens which is my favorite part actually. How the cover itself looks a bit like pastel type. Like the cage and how the girl is sitting behind the cage looking defeated and/or bored. I think it means that even though she's free she's still trapped by something. But seriously, I really love the green tones to this. I kind of want to see how this looks in person right now. >.>

The Verdict: Guilty! I'll actually be checking out some reviews on this one and if it's as good as it sounds then I'll just have to add it to my wishlist. And that, my fellow Chroniclers, is law!

What are your thoughts on the story and cover? Have you read it or want to read it? Thoughts on the author as well? Leave your comments down below! 

Also don't forget to check me out on other places around the web of inter...

Twitter: @SubtleChronicle
Facebook: The Subtle Chronicler
Goodreads: Michael Araujo





1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanna read this and her previous book. Historical fiction can be such a powerful, hard-hitting genre.

-Flor

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...