2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Friday, October 22, 2010

Book Review: Tyger Tyger

Finally I have a review to put up! I know I haven't written any reviews but for some reason I wasn't able to write them well but actually got Tyger Tyger down. =D So here we go!

Author: Kersten Hamilton
Pages: 320
Rating: E for Exceeds Expectations
Review: It does not involve Vampires nor Werewolves. No Angels and Faeries come into play either. This time, one author took it to a whole new level and brought out a mythical creature that needed to be introduced on its own. Goblins. I am not only talking about those Goblins that are short humanoid creatures. I am talking about every type of Goblins you can imagine. From ones that look like cat breeds to the scariest most ugliest kind of Goblins imagined. There is so many and just finding them all is pretty interesting.

But what exactly is there to this book aside from the Goblins? The story is about this girl Teagan who only wants to do well in life. The only thing she focuses on is the success of her future, her work, and her job. She does not have time for silly relationships, let alone adventures. And when her best friend Abby tells her that she had a prophetic dream about Goblins coming after her, she brushes it off as another crazy-Abby moment. But then everything changes.

Finn Mac Cumhaill appeared at her front door. He has no where to go and with Teagan’s mother being his aunt, he is automatically put under her care. And by care I mean bringing Goblins along with him to cause chaos in the perfect life Teagan had. A series of events begin to explode as if connected by a chain and before she knows it, Teagan is thrown into a world where not only is her life in danger, but everyone else’s around her. On top of that, she has to travel to the Goblin world called Mag Mell, where she learns all about the Goblin’s and their powers. But at least she has Finn, who by the way is a Goblin Hunter called The Mac Cumhaill, the only hunter of the Goblin’s.

Kersten Hamilton starts off the novel with a steady pace. Slow enough to have me understand who these characters are and what they are up to, yet fast enough to keep me interested and turning each page. I came into this novel expecting only Goblins and to be honest I only saw Harry Potter Gringotts Goblins, but I was a bit surprised and pleased when she began to mention the different types. It made me go oh! and want to find out more about these different types.

Her writing style, I can safely say, is unique. I read an ARC version so there was a lot to edit and I know some will change, but from the overall writing, I am really pleased with her. Sometimes you just do not know what to expect when you meet new authors that you have never heard of. And Tyger Tyger being Hamilton’s first YA novel, you sort of worry if it will be able to live up to its competition. But no need to worry because the way she mixes in the adventure with the narratives and adds the different ingredients of emotions is basically like traveling over smooth water.

The characters all have their flaws. Some more than others but they are relatable. Some characters you begin to love like Abby and Teagan’s brother Aiden, and others you begin to hate in a loving manner like Finn. Although it is not hate as in “I can’t stand you!” way, it’s more of a “You piss me off with the way you are…” type of hate.

They are all compatible with each other. Some authors have the problem where their characters do not fit in as a whole cast, but Hamilton’s do. Every relationship is well thought out and well played and not overly dramatic. And for those of you wondering if this is any love type novel, it is not. Granted there are some moments in there but it is well constructed into bits and pieces enough to keep the romancers coming back. And if you just realized that Teagan and Finn are cousins, worry not. There is more to the story of their actual family than just the basics. Ever thought of adoption?

Overall this novel is an amazing read and I am so glad that it is based on something different. I was actually really interested to hear that it was based on the Fenian Cycle of Irish mythology and it made me actually want to go to Ireland even more than I already wanted to. So for all of you who are looking for something fresh and new, check out Tyger Tyger and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

2 comments:

Danielle Zappavigna said...

This one sounds really interesting, one for the TBR pile!

Brooke said...

Huh... I have to add this to my TBR pile, as well!!! Nice review!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...