2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Sunday, October 24, 2010

In My Mailbox/Book Haul (6)

It's Monday! Funny thing, I started writing this yesterday but didn't finish it and had to go to the Muse Concert -which was AWESOME- and so I'm going to finish it now. =D. In My Mailbox is a weekly meme hosted by The Story Siren where you basically show the books you got in the week so that people can see and join you in telling what they also got. It's not gloating more of having fun and interacting with others.

The Girl Who Played With Fire

I got the DVD with English Dubbed but have not seen The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo yet. Even though I do have it but I'm guessing I'll be seeing it some time this week.

Mikael Blomkvist, publisher of Millennium magazine, has made his living exposing the crooked and corrupt practices of establishment Swedish figures. So when a young journalist approaches him with a meticulously researched thesis about sex trafficking in Sweden and those in high office who abuse underage girls, Blomkvist immediately throws himself into the investigation.






4.3.2.1

I'm kind of in love with Emma Roberts. I don't know what it is but she's just pure awesome so I really want to see this movie also.

While Jo is chained down in a dead end supermarket job, her friends are all out on their own separate adventures: Cassandra is jetting off to New York to meet her internet boyfriend; Kerrys is on a one woman crusade fighting for female liberation and Shannon is on a one way trip to meet her maker. But a chance encounter with some diamond thieves sends their separate worlds on a collision course with not only each other, but fate itself. These 4 girls are about to have 3 days they will never forget, spanning across 2 cities. That is . . . if they survive.


I saw this book on someone's In My Mailbox a few weeks ago and decided to contact the author to see if I would be able to review it. I finally got a copy and the funny thing is that; because the book is about 600+ pages, they split it up into two different books. Both are titled the same except there's Part One and Part Two. Although I'm counting it as one book and will review it as one.

In the time when the world was ravaged by chaos, one kingdom remains; ordered, isolated, protected. Then Tabitha Serannon awakens an ancient power and the world begins to change. She is hunted for her talent. The path she follows leads to darkness; into terror, treachery, and desire. To survive she must give voice to a music she hardly understands, an enchantment that will echo through all time.




I was actually approached for this one and it's sequel and was asked if I would be able to review them. Of course I said yes and they're pretty short and look awesome enough =D
And I found out that they're signed and I was like wait whoa! Haha

Zan-Gah, seeking his lost twin brother in a savage prehistoric world, encounters adventure, suffering, conflict, captivity, and final victory. In three years hero passes from an uncertain boyhood to a tried and proven manhood and a position of leadership among his people. Themes include survival, brotherhood, cultures, gender roles, psychological trauma, and nature's wonders and terrors.





The prehistoric saga continues as Zan-Gah and his disturbed twin brother, Dael, come into conflict. When their clan migrates to a new Beautiful Country, Dael's furious violence, joined with the magnetic power of his personality, precipitates division and an unwanted, preventable war. Zan's task is to restrain his brother's destructive and self-destructive tendencies, leading him to peace and recovery in the bountiful new land. But it is not to be, despite Zan's efforts and those of two strong female characters. This book features themes of war and peace, tribal conflict, traumatic stress, gender roles, and sibling rivalry, bereavement, redemption.






I received this book from randombuzzers.com They do a giveaway each week and I won it! It's an ARC and will be released October 26th, 2010. So basically Tuesday. I love the authors, especially their book Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist!

Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash & Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?





My mom went to the dollar store near my house. And this dollar store is like one of the most fancy there is. They have everything for like rich people but at a dollar. Stuff you'd think were expensive but isn't. And they had books so my mom brought me two because they were a dollar each =D

Coe follows the Winds of the Forelands series with this absorbing trilogy opener set across the sea in the Southlands, where a mysterious plague is heightening tensions among three groups: the Qirsi, who wield life-draining magic; the Mettai, who cast spells with blood and earth; and the nonmagical Eandi. Decades earlier, the plague destroyed the Mettai villagers of Sentaya, leaving only young Lici alive. No one in Lici's adopted village of Kirayde realizes the depth of her mental scars until she disappears 64 years to the day after her arrival, intending to use blood magic to punish the Qirsi she feels were responsible for the plague. Fans will cheer on Forelands series hero Grinsa, a powerful but pacifist Qirsi, who ties the two series together as he strives to understand Lici's motivation and aims to find a peaceful resolution to the escalating Qirsi-Eandi strife that follows in her wake.

The other book my mother got me that was a buck. =D

Thanks to its elite Dragon Corps, the capital city of Volstov has all but won the hundred years' war with its neighboring enemy, the Ke-Han. The renegade airmen who fly the corps's mechanical, magic-fueled dragons are Volstov's greatest weapon. But now one of its more unruly members is at the center of the city's rumor mill, causing a distraction that may turn the tide of victory.

With Volstov immersed in a scandal that may have international repercussions, the Ke-Han devise an ingenious plan of attack. To counter the threat, four ill-assorted heroes must converge to save the kingdom they love: an exiled magician, a naive country boy, a young student - and the unpredictable ace airman who flies the city's fiercest dragon, Havemercy.

But on the eve of the battle, these courageous men will face something that could make the most formidable warriors hesitate, the most powerful of magicians weak, and the most unlikely of men allies in their quest to rise against it...

This one was also from randombuzzers.com And the funny story is; I had enough buzzbucks, which is in-site credit, to get Brisingr regular edition. But I wanted the Deluxe which was 30000 BB and I had 25000+. I would've waited to get more but I also needed to be a special rank. Figuring I wouldn't get that rank anytime soon I ordered regular Brisingr. The next day they made me the special rank. When I got the book it was the Deluxe Edition. Which was so epic lol. So thank you guys =D

Following the colossal battle against the Empire's warriors on the Burning Plains, Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have narrowly escaped with their lives. Still, there is more at hand for the rider and his dragon, as Eragon finds himself bound by a tangle of promises he may not be able to keep.

First is Eragon's oath to his cousin Roran: to help rescue Roran's beloved from King Galbatorix's clutches. But Eragon owes his loyalty to others, too. The Varden are in desperate need of his talents and strength-as are the elves and dwarves. When unrest claims the rebels and danger strikes from every corner, Eragon must make choices-choices that take him across the Empire and beyond, choices that may lead to unimagined sacrifice.


One of the books my sister let me borrow. =D

Evil forces are after Morgan, forces connected with a dark wave of magick. And she knows something is wrong with the way Cal is acting, although she can't put her finger on it. Cal is definitely hiding something, but is he out to hurt her, as Hunter says?











The other book my sister let me borrow.

For now, Morgan is safe from the dark wave that has been attacking witches. Betrayed by her first love, she is trying to come to grips with her Woodbane heritage and with Wicca-its thorn and its rose.



So that was everything I got last week. Huge haul which brought up my To Be Read Pile. -_- I must now try to lower it again before it's up to 50. Dear Merlin haha. What did you guys get?
Leave a comment with a link to your post =D

2 comments:

Greg Hamerton said...

Hi Michael, glad to hear you've got the books!

The full-length paperback version of The Riddler's Gift would be available in the US if the shipping costs were lower from the UK.

Printing in the US and splitting the book allows readers to get into the story for less than $10. As a die-hard fantasy fan myself, I wouldn't only buy Part One of anything but the ecomomics of publishing BIG epic fantasy books sometimes suggests another way of doing things (like Lord of the Rings, part1, part2, part3). I hope most readers will go on to enjoy Part Two and Second Sight thereafter.

By the way, the most up-to-date source of information on the books is here

Good luck with your mountainous reading pile!

Regards
Greg Hamerton

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

Thank you so much for commenting on my blog! It's truly awesome!

I was wondering why it was split into two and I figured it was for making it cheaper to the buyers and not as big so they wouldn't feel discouraged. Hopefully though when I visit the UK I'll find a full-length copy at a bookstore and buy it.

Again thank you for my blog and hopefully the book to read pile will go lower =D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...