2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Novel/Author Rant (1)

Yesterday I posted up a review for The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer. I also told you that I had some things to say about this book which I do.

I might seem selfish or whatever else you guys think but I do not agree with the 1 dollar per book being donated. Now before you go commenting calling me evil and stuff just keep reading.

She offered the novel up on her website for free. She's selling the novel for 10 dollars max. Was it so hard for her to give 50% of the money to Red Cross? I'm not even talking about 100% because we know SMeyer loves her money. But at least 50% especially when it's for something so important as to helping victims.

Now to those who say, 100% can't be done, it can. J.K. Rowling, Quidditch Through the Ages and Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Both of those mini-novels gave 100% of the money to charity and if I remember correctly it was Comedy Relief. If I'm not mistaken she also gave the money for The Tales of Beedle the Bard to charity. If she didn't for the hardcover one she did for the Collector's Edition which was 100 dollars.

Now the thing that bothers me the most about this 1 dollar is that if you read in the back it says;

"$1.00 for each hardcover copy of this book sold in the US from the first printing will be donated to the American Red Cross International Response Fund, which supports disaster relief efforts such as those in Haiti and Chile. For more information on the American Red Cross, go to www.redcross.org. Donations will continue until all first-printing copies have been sold or at the end of a two-year period from the initial publication date, whichever is the first to occur."

Seriously, you're telling me that if the first printing was 1 million copies, Red Cross would only get 1 million dollars? THAT IS, if all first copies were sold and if it was bought in the two year limit. She could've done so much more. I mean she is rich! People out there need more money to rebuild everything they had before.

It's a bit sad. I mean I'm glad that she even considered of giving the dollar but it could've been so much more. A lot more.

By the way, I just remembered, follow Andrea at her blog: http://loud-words-and-sounds.blogspot.com/

So tell me what you guys think on this situation.

3 comments:

Travis said...

I thought the exact same thing. When you are fortunate to have good things come your way you should pass it on!

Leonor said...

I definitely remeber us talking about this and comming to this conclusion together. We even searched up how many copies were printed the first time. Seriously, I think it's outrageous. Especially since the book was offered for free on her site? What's the point?

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

Lmfao remember. It wasn't that many copies either. I don't remember the actual number. But it's sad. I swear if I ever become a famous author with the money and stuff, I'll donate all of the money to charities that need it. What's the point of living rich when I know others out there are suffering?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...