2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Honesty Hour (7)

Hiya Chroniclers! It's finally Thursday! And with Thursday comes another edition of Honesty Hour! Honesty Hour is a weekly meme where unlike a review, it's more of a discussion of books, shows and/or movies. But the thing is, I may talk about anything from characters, to plots, to covers, to authors, to really anything else I can think of. Just something that I need to get off my chest like a rant. Now I warn you, posts like these might contain spoilers. But this particular one does not.


Book Covers vs People

Sometimes a book will come out and it'll cause some problems out in the world. Sometimes, the book hasn't even been released yet, but still, people are complaining because of the title and cover. I am in fact talking about David Levithan's Two Boys Kissing. The cover for the novel features exactly what the title says, two boys kissing. Focused right on their faces. Lips-locked. And people are throwing words around about banning it already, and how it's not right and yatta yatta. And I'm sitting here like.... who cares?! We live in 2013. It's been 2000+ years and we're still trying to judge each other and say what is right and what is not? Who are we to judge?

Now the thing is. I have an Instagram where I take a picture of the book I'm currently reading and tag it and people like it and comment and such. I also have friends who like to talk a lot. A lot...

I want to get this book and read it because one, David Levithan is an amazing author and two, I want to piss people off. I know for a fact that if I put up a picture of me reading this book, people are going to talk. And I don't care if they do, it's just the fact that they'll talk. That talk will consist of them assuming things about myself. Again, while I don't care, it still gets me mad that a person can't be themselves. I could be straight, but I'm not narrow. 

I don't judge anybody for their beliefs, or for their likes or dislikes. (Unless you like Twilight) So why must someone judge me and say things like "you must be gay for reading a book about gay people." In what logical world, does reading a book about gay people make you gay? Or mean that you're gay? Does reading about vampires make you a vampire? Does reading a romance book automatically make you be in a relationship? Does reading a book about freaking cats make you a feline? No! So why must I be judged based on something that has no connection to me other than me reading?

People are quick to judge and yet they hate being judged themselves My theory, they're obviously self-conscious about themselves. So I will read this book, I will put it up and Instagram and people are obviously going to talk. But I know who I am and have no problem. I just want to live in a world where reading a book about LGBT is normal and doesn't mean that you yourself are any of the LGBT. 

I also put it up on Tumblr but that is completely different because Tumblr is literally the Island of Misfit Toys. If anyone judges you, they do it behind anonymous messages and you get more support than anything on there. So to all of your authors out there, write more books about LGBT people. Make them put covers that will make people feel completely awkward. Because if we have to listen and deal with their crap, they'll have to do the same with ours. And to all of you readers out there. Buy this book! Even if you don't want to read it, just buy it. Because this can be the start of something new. Not to get all High School Musical but it's true. Change can only come if you challenge the normal. Make the abnormal go away.  

My question is though, had the cover been different. Had it not featured two boys kissing, would people still judge you for the title as much as they would now? Or would they not care? Leave your comments down below with your thoughts because I would really love to know. 

Don't forget to check out my other places on the web of inter...
Facebook: The Subtle Chronicler
Twitter: @SubtleChronicle
Goodreads: Michael Araujo
Instagram: AntonioMeks



2 comments:

Daniela said...

Sadly, people probably would take more interest in this book if the cover had been different. It doesn't matter who wrote it, one glance at the cover and that's all some people need to never look at it again.
Personally, I can't wait to start this one, because David Levithan is an amazing author and I love his stories.

ROWLING... said...

I don't think having another cover would make any difference.

If people are narrow minded enough to not be able to see beyond the cover photo, then I don't think they will extend past the title either.

Some people let their prejudices blind them to what could be an rewarding and thought provoking experience.

Would people be of the same opinion if the book was about two girls.....?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...