2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Honesty Hour (9)

Hey Chroniclers! It's Thursday once more and you all know what that means! It's time for another Honesty Hour! Honesty Hour is a weekly meme where unlike a review, it's more of a discussion full of spoilers and whatnots. And aside from talking about the book, I can talk about certain characters, plots, settings, covers, authors and anything else that I can think of. Now I warn you, these posts may be full of spoilers. SO PROCEED WITH CAUTION AFTER THE PHOTO FOR SPOILERS MAY BE WITHIN!

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer!

Cinder and Scarlet are the first two fairy retellings in a four part series. Cinder starts off with the retelling of Cinderella in New Beijing in a world full of androids and cyborgs. Everyone swore this was the best thing they had read in the longest but when I finally read it, it fell flat. I enjoyed it but it wasn't what people said it was. I seriously thought it was going to be better but I was reading it so slow because my interest just wasn't holding. My eyes literally glazed over and I had to re-read several passages over and over.

The ending though was something that I liked and made me want to continue the series. Thus I read Scarlet which is the retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The novel continues the story of Cinder from the first novel and introduces us the character of Scarlet who lives in France. Her grandmother is missing and with the help of a guy called Wolf, she goes out to find her and ends up crossing paths with Cinder.

The thing is, Scarlet was a lot better than Cinder. A lot better. I liked the setting a lot more of Paris and France and liked Scarlet a lot more than I liked Cinder. I actually liked the supporting characters a lot more. The thing about these books is that these books were so over-hyped. If there were ever an over-over-hyped book, it would be these. Everyone literally swore up and down that they were the best thing they had ever read and I was just not that impressed. I do have to say I'm pretty excited for the next two novels and hope that the characters get better and better.

But what are your thoughts on the series? Did you like it or did you have the same problem? Leave your comments down below!

Don't forget to check out my other places on the web of inter...
Facebook: The Subtle Chronicler
Twitter: @SubtleChronicle
Goodreads: Michael Araujo
Instagram: AntonioMeks

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...