2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Honesty Hour (8)

Hey Chroniclers! Welcome to Thursday which brings you another edition of Honesty Hour! Honesty Hour is a meme where unlike a review, it's more of a discussion full of spoilers and whatnot. And unlike a review, I might speak about multiple different things from characters, to plots, to settings and even covers and authors. Now I warn you, after the photo there might be spoilers. I repeat; THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS AFTER THE PHOTO! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!


Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan!

The majority of us have read these books when they first come out. Or if you're like me, you read them pretty late. I read the books back in March of 2012, so they had all been out for a while and I was 20. Well away from my teenage years. Now the thing is, while I did like and enjoy the novels, I didn't like them as much as I thought I would. Now, I know don't know the reason why but I think that I know why I was a bit underwhelmed with these books.

The first reason is that it might have been hyped up. Everyone and their mothers were talking about how amazing these books were. They had been on my list for the longest and when the movie came out, I went to the midnight premiere and fell in love with it. I was so excited to read the books but only years later did I have the chance and it just wasn't the same. I think I was expecting something a lot more than what it truly gave me.

Could it have been hyped up? Possibly. Sometimes people talk so much and so grand about novels that you're expecting the book to end all books and then out of nowhere it's average. It happens all the time with a lot of books. Especially in the YA community. People talk about books nonstop, get you hyped up, and then they suck. It's happened to me so many times, that I no longer to you people half the time. By you people, I mean other bloggers. I listen to some but others.... You guys need to stop doing this to me!!!!

The other reason that might be the reason why I didn't enjoy them as much, is my age. I truly think that I was too old to understand the innocence behind the books. I'm growing old and I've got to face it. I won't be able to read certain books and capture the magic that they truly hold. My mind is so poisoned and infiltrated with adultism that I can handle the magic of innocence anymore. I can't handle the fact that these kids are going to win because I'm used to seeing characters dying. I can't handle couples staying together, because I'm used to seeing them separated.

Reading adult novels and older YA books has literally ruined my mind. I can no longer read a children's novel and see it for what it is. I'm always expecting the worse to happen and when it doesn't I think that it is too easy. And it kills me! I want my innocence back! D= That doesn't mean I still didn't enjoy them. I'll still read Rick Riordan's novels but they just won't be the same.

What are your thoughts though? Has your mind been poisoned to the point you can't enjoy younger novels any more? Leave your comments down below and let's discuss!

Don't forget to check out my other places on the web of inter...
Facebook: The Subtle Chronicler
Twitter: @SubtleChronicle
Goodreads: Michael Araujo
Instagram: AntonioMeks



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...