2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Book Review: Bridge to Terabithia

This is the other book that I mention in my The Lovely Bones review about hearing it because of the movie.

Like the one before, this is also short because it was one of the first reviews I have written "professionally". So, um, here we go!

Author: Katherine Paterson
Pages: 128
Rating: E for Exceeds Expectations
Review: Remember when we were little kids, and we always played games with our friends that most of the time involved our imagination? How we created worlds that only our most trusted best friends could see? How in our world, we had everything we imagined? How in our world, everything was innocent and pure? How in our world, we never thought that one day, life would take over and destroy our it?

Bridge to Terabithia, is that world. The world we dream of when we sleep. Don’t you ever miss that world?

Bridge to Terabithia starts off with a boy named Jess, who’s a middle schooler that acts like most teenagers today. In his eyes, his life sucks. That is, unless it’s the annual school race where he decides that he will win in first place. And win he almost does. That is, until someone beats him. A girl by the name of Leslie Burke. This girl beat all the boys in the race and back then and even today, when you’re a little kid, being beaten by girls is not okay. After all, they do have cooties…

The story goes on and Jess and Leslie become the best of friends, and eventually, as all kids, create their perfect world. Terabithia. To get into Terabithia, you have to cross this creek by swinging on a rope. But in their minds, it’s a magnificent bridge. They have battles and wars, party’s and everything else there is to do. Outside of Terabithia, no one else knows about it.

Jess starts to think that his life is getting better and Leslie is living life as free-spirited as she can with her family. Something Jess wish he had. In his eyes, she has everything he doesn’t. So when his teacher invites him on a trip, he doesn’t invite Leslie along, as he was told to. Instead, he makes an excuse that she can’t go. That night, everything changed. Fatally.

In Jess’ mind, Terabithia still lives, as he shares the secret along with his younger sister. In his mind, Terabithia still includes Leslie.


I remember I first read this for my Sophmore year of High School right at the end for extra credit. Lol, I passed the class, woot! And I loved it! And the movie is also amazing. So check both of them out! Tell me your thoughts on the review, the novel and/or the movie if you've seen/ready it.

3 comments:

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

Oh gosh, I don't remember much from this book except for i was BAWLING at the end!! I don't think i analyzed it or anything, and didn't really get the depth but it was so sad! haha :P nice review!

Sadaf H. said...

It was a good book but me personally, I am more of a fan of the movie. I have seen it time and time again, the story is just beautiful.

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

Wow am I late on commenting this haha. Yea the ending was really sad and I think I might re-read the book this year if I run out of books to read =X

And thank you for the comments!

The movie was good even though I only saw it once. I saw it when it first came out some years ago and read the book then, so I don't know which exactly is my favorite. Maybe the movie because of the fantasy visuals haha. But yes the story is beautiful =D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...