2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday's Novel Spotlight (2)

Welcome to this weeks edition of Tuesday's Novel Spotlight, I'm your host Michael Araujo and today we'll be talking about beauty, technology and the world of Uglies. -queue theme music-

Now most of you may already know about this novel and have already read the whole series. But for the select few, you just have to go out now and buy it.

Uglies is set in the future of the world where a chemical took over and killed off most of the humans from the face of this Earth. To help recuperate, officials began to create a system that would be the end of war and hatred and jealousy by making everyone equal. Thus at the age of 16, everyone goes through an operation that will make you the perfect person there is.

Now Tally Youngblood is finally turning 16. Her best friend is already a Pretty and she can not wait until she's with him. Until she meets a girl by the name of Shay who wants nothing but to remain ugly. And damn that Shay, because of her , Tally is contacted by those officials who say that if she can't get Shay to get the surgery, neither can Tally.

The book is full of twists and turns that lead to more twists and turns and a couple of cliffhangers.

I first read this novel in Highschool. I would have to say probably my freshman year. I'm not too sure now. All I remember is that I went to Barnes and Noble, found the books and bought them. I devoured the books in a week or so and was instantly in love with them. Oh and Extras was already out. I could see what year but I'm kind of lazy right now. =D

Now there is some speculation about the movie. The movie is supposed to come out but no official cast news or script news or any type of news is out yet. All we know is that it has been bought to become a movie. And I will be one of the first in line to watch it.

Anyway, the world of Uglies is just amazing. The whole operation thing is, to me a good idea to a certain extent. The characters are all fresh and three dimensional. The writing is new, it's young, it's today. New words are introduced that just roll off the tip of your tongue. Words that stick to your head and before you know it, you're calling things Bogus and Bubbly.

Scott Westerfeld certainly knows how to write. And I'm hoping that his talents are equal to his other novels which I have to write.

If you'd like to know more about Uglies just keep reading for the synopsis.

Tally is about to turn sixteen, and she can't wait. Not for her license - for turning pretty. In Tally's world, your sixteenth birthday brings an operation that turns you from a repellent ugly into a stunningly attractive pretty and catapults you into a high-tech paradise where your only job is to have a really good time. In just a few weeks Tally will be there.

But Tally's new friend Shay isn't sure she wants to be pretty. She'd rather risk her life on the outside. When Shay runs away, Tally learns about a whole new side of the pretty world - and it isn't very pretty. The authorities offer Tally the worst choice she can imagine: find her friend and turn her in, or never turn pretty at all. The choice Tally makes changes her world forever.

(Synopsis was taken from Barnesandnoble.com)

Now I'm kind of pro-operation. I mean it would be nice for everyone to get turned into a superhuman with the beauty of an Abercrombie & Fitch model. (Veronica is pretty jealous that I already have that =P ) -shows spray on abs-
I mean let's not turn out like Heidi Montag. She's just.... eek.
But it's free, it's safe, at least in their world, and it makes it so that no one can make fun of each other. I'd say that's a pretty epic deal.

So have you read the novel? Your thoughts. Will you see the movie when it is finally released?

Well until next time folks! Remember, I'm Michael Araujo! See ya!
-camera zooms away with ending theme music playing background-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thumbs up for a reference to me ! <3

but thumbs down for your corny entrance & exit in this post ! :P

love ya .. sometimes. (;

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

lmfao you love my cornyness. all the time. =D

Ky said...

I adore these books. ^.^ You didn't read them until EXTRA'S was out?! What the hell is the matter with you?! God I read these in like what 6th grade? I don't even remember! For shame man. These books introduced me to dystopian novels and I can tell you I haven't looked back since. Westerfeld is BRILLIANT I tell ye! I will read anything he writes. End of story.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...