2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Michael has read 1 book toward his goal of 50 books.
hide

Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Review: The Lovely Bones

These next two reviews, including next week, are books that I heard because of the movies. They both deal with death in some way and I really liked them a lot.

I apologize that it's short but they were one of my first reviews I wrote "professionally". But here we go. Oh, and the cover on the side is not the one I have. I actually have the movie cover. =D

Author: Alice Sebold
Pages: 372
Rating: E for Exceeds Expectations
Review: Death. We all think about it. We all experience it second hand at one point. And we will all go through it. We all hope that it will come when we are old and wrinkly and to the point that we accept it. We do not wish that it would be taken from us, brutally, when we are young. Susie Salmon had that same wish.

Susie was only fourteen when she was raped and murdered by a neighbor, Mr. Harvey. But this book is not all about her death and who did it and how it happened. We find out right in the beginning. This novel is about how Susie’s death was just a pebble in the pond.

Alice Sebold takes on the lives of everyone around Susie Salmon. From family, to crushes, to her friends she had and the friends she never knew she had. The way Sebold writes out what happens to each of them, makes us feel as if we are living with them. As if, like Susie, we are looking down upon them from heaven. The heaven that is the most perfect place. Not hers, but also, our perfect world.

We see a family that was as close as any can be, break up into separate paths. Friendships formed that would have otherwise been left untouched. They all share her death. But, Susie shows us that death is not something to be feared. It is something that should be welcomed when the time comes.

I could go on and on about this novel, but it is one of those books that when someone reads it, everyone see’s something different. And I could go on and on for hours. But, I’d rather have you read it and experience the pain and joy for yourselves. Because as we all know; Death, is but another great adventure.


Now some people might be wondering why I haven't actually talked about the book go deep into it. But my reviews tell about the book and what I think in a witty subtle way. The way I write it you see what I think and I don't always tell you off the bat. But I will go deep into books on Tuesday's during Novel Spotlight.

And another thing before I go, I tried writing a review for Incarceron, couldn't, went to bed yesterday, thought of one while falling asleep and now I forgot it. So I'll just wait until it comes back or I feel like writing one.

But if you guys have read the book or even seen the movie (which I love) please comment with your thoughts and opinions. Spoiler-free. I want to hear what you guys think.

3 comments:

Nat said...

Very nice review. I liked the Lovely Bones too. It had the depth and feeling of an Anita Shreve novel to me. Natalie wouldn't read it because she only likes happy books, LOL.
I haven't reviewed it for my blog b/c I read it last year and it is no longer fresh on my mind. How was the movie?

Michael Antonio Araujo said...

The movie was really good. It stuck really close to the novel with a few changed due to the movie rating purposes. But I loved it. I saw it about 3 times in a week or so. It's just one of those movies that never gets old.

La Coccinelle said...

I actually haven't seen the movie yet. But I really enjoyed the book when I read it years ago.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...